What do you say when someone passes away?
What are the right words to say to a loved one who has just been in some accident?
Writing a sympathy message is often an emotional experience and it can be challenging to find the right words immediately you hear the news, words that offer support, comfort, and empathy.
And we all agree that in the face of loss, sadness, and shock, it is very vital that friends and family reach out to those grieving and let them know how much they’re cared for.
Our words can’t take away the pain of losing a loved one, but they can go a long way toward helping a grieving person feel loved and supported.
So if you’re looking for the right sympathy messages or what to write in a sympathy card, here are some meaningful messages to inspire an intimate, heartfelt offering of sympathy and compassion.
Please consider these messages starters to help your personal note flow. You can use them as guidelines, for inspiration but remember the most thoughtful messages come from the heart.
God of love and mercy,
You hold time within your hands, and see it all, from beginning to end. Please keep and carry these precious family in their sadness and loss.
may they know your presence
in the stillness of the day,
and through the love of friends
who offer their condolence.
Immerse them in your love
and lead them through this darkness
into your arms, and light.
Grant them space
to express their tears.
Hold them close
through the coming days.
For this family who woke this morning
to the loneliness of bereavement,
the empty bed or chair,
an unaccustomed quietness,
a life now incomplete,
dear God, please take the consuming anguish they feel right now.
Take it from them and hold them in Your arms.
Heal their broken heart and bind up their wounds.
Cover them with your great wings of love, give their weary hearts rest and their minds sound sleep.
Lord, lift their eyes so that they may catch a glimpse of eternity, and be comforted by the promise of heaven.
We ask all this in the precious name of Jesus.
We pray for this family whose lives
have been touched by this tragedy.
source of all mercy and giver of comfort;
Deal graciously with them as they mourn,
O God, come to their assistance;
O Lord, hurry to help them.
Casting all their sorrow on you,
may they know the consolation of your love.
May they reach out to hold your hand
and feel the warmth of the one
who has already passed from death to life.
We ask this through Jesus Christ,
whose own suffering brought us life,
here and for eternity.
Jesus, You said, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted”
I am mourning; send me Your comfort now.
Wrap around Your arms around me and hold me tight.
Send angels of mercy to me.
Send Your Holy Spirit to direct me and my family
lest we make hasty or foolish decisions.
Send Your Spirit to give us courage
lest through fear we recoil from living.
Send Your Spirit to bring us your peace
lest bitterness, false guilt, or regret take root in our hearts.
You have given.
You have taken away.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.
Shower Your comfort on me through those around me,
and keep far from me those whose words and actions are no comfort
Jesus, please be with my friend reading this prayer.
You know every wound, every pain, every fear, every dream.
Heal these pains. Alleviate every haunting fear.
Do not let this grief drag my friend into misery,
but with strength and courage may my friend find happiness again.
Heal their brokenness
with the soothing balm
of your gentle touch,
that they might know
shalom, wholeness, peace.
Help us all to see the power of Your resurrection.
Give us eyes to see where new life springs in our hearts.
Rejuvenate when we’re weak.
We need You Jesus.
- The loss of a loved one is never easy, but know we are with you through your grief.
- We are thankful to be a part of your life and hope we can offer comfort and strength during your time of need.
- We are deeply sorry for your loss.
- May you find comfort in knowing you are not alone, you are surrounded by those who care for you.
- Please remember that we love and care about you and will be here for you always.
- I know I can’t make your pain go away, but I want you to know I’m here with a shoulder or an ear or anything else you need.
- Thinking of your family with love and wanting to help out in any way I can. I’ll call to see when would be a good night to bring over a meal.
- You’ve got so much on your mind and on your heart right now. We hope it will make one less worry to know that Gary and I will be taking care of (the yard) for as long as you need.
- You and your family are in my heart and mind. My condolences on the passing of your father.
- It’s terrible to hear about your loss and I express my sincere sympathy to you and your family
- I am deeply saddened by the loss that you and your family have encountered. My condolences.
- My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. May God give you peace and strength to pull through.
- I can’t imagine what you must be feeling right now, but I want you to know that we are just a phone call away. My heartfelt condolences.
- Please accept my condolences, just know that I am here for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out, especially during this difficult time.
- Words cannot describe what I am feeling. I give my condolences to the entire family. God rest her soul.