Claude Reese death: Frank Bosco today after Claude Reese shooting

Claude Reese death: What happened to Frank P. Bosco after Claude Reese shooting in September 15 1974?

Claude Reese death: Frank P. Bosco today after Claude Reese shooting

The 14‐year‐old black boy was shot in the head and killed by 24 year old white policeman, Frank Bosco in the Brownsville section, Brooklyn.

Claude Reese death: How Frank P. Bosco killed Claude Reese, how Claude Reese shooting happened

On the day 14 year old Claude Reese was killed, 24‐year‐old officer Frank P Bosco was investigating a possible burglary in the cellar of the tenement building where young Reese lived.

Claude Reese, four other boys and two girls were in the cellar of his apartment building at 457 Powell Street renovating a room for a party.

At 9:46 P.M. an unidentified woman who said she was a resident of the building telephoned the police and reported loud noises in the basement. She said she feared that a burglary was in progress.

At 9:51 P.M. Officer Bosco, then assigned to the 73d Precinct, and his radio‐car partner, Officer Arnold Tamaroff, were told to investigate.

The District Attorney’s report said the officers ordered the seven teenagers “to stay where they were” when the policemen entered the dimly lighted cellar room.

The boys, however, ran through another door.

Officer Tamaroff held the two girls while Officer Bosco, with his .38‐caliber service revolver drawn, pursued the five fleeing boys.

According to the report, Officer Bosco was struck on the right knee by a hard object as he ran up a flight of basement steps toward a courtyard.

The officer said he saw young Reese standing above him in the courtyard, about five feet away, with what appeared to be a gun in his left hand. It was then, Officer Bosco said, that he fired the one fatal shot.

According to Frank Bosco, he fired his gun only after the young Claude pointed a pistol‐shaped handsaw at him that the officer said he mistook for a gun.

Other officers who searched the courtyard, after Claude was killed, found an 18‐inch handsaw with a pistol‐grip handle beside the boy’s body.

According to reports, the shooting marked the first time that Officer Bosco had fired his gun during his three years as a policeman.

Frank P. Bosco trial:

A Brooklyn grand jury cleared Bosco of criminal negligence in Claude Reese shooting death.

According to reports, the jurors had concluded that Officer Bosco “acted justifiably” and that the policeman “reasonably believed that he had to fire his weapon to save his own life.”

After Claude Reese death in September, at the height of the antipolice demonstrations in Brownsville, Commissioner Michael J. Codd stripped Officer Bosco of his gun and assigned him to clerical duties at Police Headquarters— a step just short of suspension.

However, by December 16, 1974, Officer Bosco was restored to normal duty. Reports add no departmental trial or action was planned against the policeman.

Reacting to the jury’s verdict, Officer Bosco said on a television newscast that he was “happy” with the grand jury’s decision but that “nothing could ever erase the hell have lived through for the last three months.”

Officer Bosco said he did not know if he could ever do his police job “at 100 per cent” again.

He was afraid to show his face during the newscast because he had received threats on his life and was concerned for the safety of his wife and baby. Two police bodyguards stood near him. His home was under 24‐hour guard.

He said:

“I did my job before and in the end I was treated like a criminal.

It destroyed me and my family. I don’t know whether I want to put them through it again.”

When Claude Reese’s mother, Mrs. Claude Reese Sr., was informed of the grand jury’s refusal to indict the officer on murder charges, she said she knew nothing about the action, adding, “Why didn’t they tell me?”

3 thoughts on “Claude Reese death: Frank Bosco today after Claude Reese shooting”

  1. With every time going on in the USA pertaining to Cops shooting unarmed black kid. I thought I would tell a story. In 1974 my friends and I lived on Powell Street. Regardless of how the newspaper’s describes you living conditions, It was home for all us. My name is Warren Finney and I was one of the five boy,also there was Lynn H. And Patrica B. Yes we were cleaning our basement club for party. But every time we hooked up the basement nice and cozy, The older teens would takeover and kick us out of our club. So we decided to knock a hole next to the door frame to run a chain trough and secure the door. We were using a crowbar and heavy hammer to punch out a hole. Yes it was noisy, but we had no idea the the lady on the first floor had called cops! I mean everyone knew everyone! We were on the left side of the basement and the cops came to the right door and kicked it open. All I seen was a flashlight and I took off running, my best friend David Jordan was right behind me when we heard and POP!!! We run so fast and hid in some weeds in the freight train lot. We were praying. Finally we snuck but home. While I was sitting in our apartment, my brother ran inside and said Claude was shot in the head!😢 After all these years I needed to go back in time and reflect. And yes the Cop got off!! I wonder who’s idea it was to use the hacksaw?

    • I’m so sorry for your loss then and now and that no justice was served. I can’t imagine what it has been like for you all these years. I’m so sorry. I am praying for your healing and for justice.

  2. My family lived in the next building 453. One of the other youth with Claude was one of my younger brothers. The youngest of 2,had left a few minutes earlier.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Canada Work Visa Jobs