The Department of State Services (DSS) says it is ready to release Omoyele Sowore, convener of RevolutionNow Movement.
Sowore was arrested in Lagos on August 3 and subsequently flown to Abuja where he has been detained.
Recall that Sowore was last month granted bail by the Federal High Court in his ongoing trial for alleged treason and alleged plot to overthrow the present government, he, however, met the stringent bail conditions ordered by the court on November 6, but the DSS has declined to release him.
The refusal of the DSS to release Sowore as ordered by the court prompted nationwide outrage and protests at the agency’s headquarters.
It was however gathered that on Tuesday, November 12, the DSS assaulted some protesters who were demanding Sowore’s release as photos and clips from the protest went viral on social media.
Meanwhile, reacting in a statement on Wednesday, Peter Afunanya, spokesman of the DSS, said operatives of the agency, did not open fire on protesters but prevented them from forcefully breaking into the agency to release Sowore.
“The DSS wishes to state that its operatives did not open fire on alleged protesters who had stormed its facility on 12th November, 2019,” he said.
Afunanya added that, “as a normal global security practice, the operatives stood in defence of their facility when some group of persons made unruly attempts to forcefully break into the place and effect the release of Omoyele Sowore.
“Despite serial and unwarranted provocations, the service, as a professional and responsible Organisation, did not shoot at the so called protesters. It could not have done so.”
The DSS Spokesman however reiterated the service’s avowed readiness to release Sowore once the processes are concluded.
Afunanya added that the appropriate persons have still not turned up to take delivery of Sowore.