President Donald Trump has cancelled the planned June 12 summit in Singapore with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, citing a flurry of hostile statements from North Korea.
Donald Trump in the statement also told the North Korean leader “this missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history.”
This is coming a day that North Korea dismantled its nuclear bomb testing site, in the presence of some invited journalists.
But Mr. Trump said later that the meeting with Mr. Kim, which had been scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, could still hold, even as he renewed threats of military action against the North and vowed to continue a campaign of economic pressure against Mr. Kim’s regime.
The president made his announcement in a formal and at times mournful-sounding letter to Mr. Kim, in which Mr. Trump cited North Korea’s derisive statements about Vice President Mike Pence as the specific reason for canceling the meeting.
President Trump said in the letter to Kim that based on the statement, he felt it was “inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting.” He said;
I have decided to terminate the planned Summit in Singapore on June 12th. While many things can happen and a great opportunity lies ahead potentially, I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and indeed a setback for the world…
The president says the North Koreans talk about their nuclear capabilities, “but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”