Some of the Dapchi school girls who were released after being kidnapped by Boko Haram militantsin the town of Dapchi, Yobe state last month where pictured as they returned. It was reported that 105 of the 110 Dapchi school girls were dropped back in the town in the early hours of today.
A health personnel identified as Ya’u Ubaliyo Abubakar took to Facebook to share pictures of some of the returned Dapchi school girls.
Information Minister Lai Mohammed said the girls were released “unconditionally”. “No money changed hands,” he told reporters in the capital, Abuja.
Mr Mohammed said President Muhammadu Buhari directives to all security agencies to do everything possible to secure the release of the Dapchi school girls, who were abducted February 19, had “yielded fruits”.
He said the release of the remaining abducted students was “ongoing”. He said the girls were released around 3 a.m. through “back-channel efforts” and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it was unconditional.
”For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option.
”Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost,” Mr. Mohammed said.
He said the number of the freed girls would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented, “especially because the girls were not handed over to anyone but dropped off in Dapchi.”
Meanwhile, Nigerians have expressed worries about the mysterious return of the girls.
They queried how Boko Haram insurgents were able to get into Dapchi town without being apprehended by security agents.
Majority of them have now accused President Buhari’s government of being behind the abduction.