Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy will remain in custody until early next year before his trial over four rape and one sex assault charges against three women.
Mendy who spoke only to confirm his name during the 45-minute hearing at Chester Crown Court, where a date of January 24 2022 was set for his trial, is being accused of four counts of rape and one of sexual assault.
He listened to proceedings translated to him via a French interpreter that sat behind him in the dock.
The charges were not put to him and no pleas were entered during the hearing, which dealt largely with administrative matters ahead of the trial.
A further hearing will be held on November 15 and Eleanor Laws QC, defending Mendy, said there would be an application to dismiss the charges on that date.
The alleged attacks, on three different women including one under 18, are said to have happened at his £5million mansion in Prestbury, Cheshire.
Mendy was charged on August 26 with three counts of rape relating to an alleged incident in October 2020 and with the sexual assault of a woman in early January this year.
He is also charged with raping a woman last month.
The Premier League star was refused bail and is currently on remand at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool.