Three people have been confirmed dead in a gas explosion on Tuesday at Inua Mohammmed Street, Ajao Estate, Isolo, Lagos state.
The accident happened after a 62-year-old woman, who owned a cooking gas shop, and her 32-year-old daughter were called back on their way home to attend to a “regular customer” who came to fill a gas cylinder.
The shop owner was able to fill the gas without an accident. But trouble began when the customer wanted to load the already filled cylinder into a waiting tricycle.
An eyewitness said the cylinder fell off and exploded. That initial explosion set off a series of others, killing the shop owner, her daughter and other persons yet to be identified.
Ibrahim Farinloye, the acting coordinator for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said the explosion injured two other persons.
Mr Farinloye said the explosion occurred at a panel beater’s workshop at the estate.
“The explosion occurred while the technician was trying to up his oxycytelene flame popularly known as cabad’s cylinder.
“The incident led to the death of three persons and rescue of two. One was immediately resuscitated while the other is hospital with severe burns. Seven shops were partially affected,” Mr Farinloye said.