Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar‘s stepson, Anthony Chuka Douglas is married.
Anthony yesterday in Dubai married his fiancee, Whitney Erin Woods in a wedding ceremony that lasted from 12th of April to the 14th.
Anthony Chuka Douglas is the son of Barr (Dr) Mrs Jennifer Jamilah Atiku, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar’s wife.
Before their wedding, Anthony Chuka Douglas and Whitney Erin Woods had been dating for six years.
The couple had a wedding lunch on the lawn at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and Senator Ben Bruce, who was in attendance, shared photos.
Anthony Chuka Douglas’ mother, born Jennifer Iwenjiora, was an NTA News correspondent in the 1980s. She later got married to Alhaji Atiku Abubakar who became Nigeria’s vice president in 1999. She is now known as Barr (Dr) Mrs Jennifer Jamilah Atiku Abubakar.
Gushing about her son’s wedding, Dr Jennifer Jamillah Atiku said:
Over six years ago, Tony introduced Whitney to the family and since she came along, everything fell into place as his life became more organized. Whitney’s family welcomed him as one of their own.
But, then, we worried about the cultural divide. However, Whitney quickly learned to adjust to the many traditional differences with aplomb and gracefulness. Then Whitney introduced her mother—sweet and gentle as a breeze—and our family knew the deal was sealed. The apple does not fall far from the tree.
Whitney, you are a charming, sophisticated and graceful lady full of warmth.You are our daughter now and a part of the family. We love you.
Tony, I can close my eyes and still see you seating on the floor in Washington, D.C. playing with your “chu-chu” train. I can still see you flying down the rail bannister with your Batman costume. But now your flying days are over as we await another Batman to take your place in the family.
Since this time, you have become a fine young man and I am so proud of you and extremely happy to be your mother. You have shouldered your responsibility of elder sibling with tenacity, compassion and humility. As you mature into a loving brother, son and soon father, the girl you picked is exactly right and perfect for you.
Let us admit, marriage is a rollercoaster ride; there will be blissful moments and turbulent times. But that Tony is taking this journey with Whitney puts our mind at ease. She is such a beautiful soul.
And as two become one on April 14, remember that our whole family is behind Whitney and that we will be there for you Tony as you begin this journey… “A man shall leave his father and mother and be united to his wife…”
May God Bless your marriage.
Welcome to our family Whitney!!!!
- 8 quick facts about Jennifer Iwenjiora, later Jamilah Atiku Abubakar
- Jennifer Iwenjiora was an NTA News reporter in the 1980s.
- She met Atiku Abubakar for the first time in 1982, but they later lost touch.
- She relocated to the US in the late 1980s or early 1990s and she got married to a man named Douglas (for whom she had her son, Anthony Chuka Douglas). They later got divorced. She is a US citizen.
- She became reacquainted with Atiku Abubakar in the late 1990s and they got married. She adopted the name Jamilah Atiku Abubakar.
- She lived in Atiku Abubakar’s mansion in Potomac, Maryland. She also got her Ph.D. while she was in the US.
- She was the subject of an investigation by the US Government regarding certain financial dealings, but she said that the funds belonged to her husband and she didn’t know anything about it.
- She relocated to Dubai, where her son got married yesterday.
- She is also a lawyer and was called to Bar in Nigeria a few years ago.
Photos: Anthony Chuka Douglas and Whitney Erin Woods Dubai wedding