A Nigerian man has bagged 15 years jail sentence, for raping and blackmailing young women he met via fake social media profiles.
The Nigerian man identified as Rhys Miller-Offiong of Muirkirk Road, was handed the 15 years jail sentence at Woolwich Crown Court on Thursday, 6 December and he will be made to sign the Sex Offenders Register for an indefinite period and will be subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order upon release.
Rhys who raped a 19-year-old woman at an address in Catford on 24 August 2017, pleaded guilty at the same court on 5 November to one count of rape, one count of blackmail, four counts of distributing indecent images of a child, three counts of disclosing private sexual photographs and films with intent to cause distress, and one count of committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence.
The suspect who met his victim online while using a fake profile, persuaded her to send intimate images to him before setting up a meeting with her. It was gathered that after she realized that the Nigerian man was not the person she thought she had been engaging with online after they met, he threatened to send the images to her friends and family if she refused to go with him.
After she got threatened, she reportedly followed the suspect to an address in Catford where she was raped. She however identified the suspect through his social media profiles, and further investigations revealed that the Nigerian man has been raping and blackmailing young women and reportedly had two other victims.
The Nigerian man who bagged 15 years jail time, was sentenced as follows;
– rape; 15 years’ imprisonment plus a four-year extended licence;
– blackmail; four years’ imprisonment to run concurrently;
– four counts of distributing indecent images of a child; ten months’ imprisonment for each offence to run concurrently;
– three counts of disclosing private sexual photographs and films with intent to cause distress; ten months’ imprisonment for each offence to run concurrently;
– commit an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence; two year’s imprisonment to run concurrently.