Nigerian urban highlife singer, Adekunle Gold, just released the video for his hit single ‘Ire’ and it is getting us teary already with the “For Busayo“, engraved boldly at the end of the video.
Adekunle Gold who in the video, was captured with a little girl dancing around him, explained in an Instagram post that the girl symbolizes Busayo who never left his side, and his latest single Ire is dedicated to the memory of his late sister.
Who is Busayo?
I’ve been getting this question a lot. Busayo is my sister. We lost her in 2011 to a Heart Complication. I’m fiercely protective of my family but I didn’t think I could skip out one of my favorite memories or people in life.
Busayo was symbolically represented by the little girl skipping around me in the video as that is who she was in real life.
She never left my side, matter of fact, she was my younger twin. We looked alike and she could sing for the whole of AFRICA.
In my heart, I believe I sing for the both of us; It was only right that I dedicated the video to her memory…
Since Adekunle Gold took us down the memory lane, we decided to bring you somethings nobody probably has told you about him.
- Adekunle Gold’s real name is Adekunle Kosoko and he hails from Lagos Island, permit me to say he is an Isale Eko dude.
- He is a prince of Lagos and member of the famous Kosoko royal house of Lagos.
- He is the only son of his parent. He has 3 sisters, though one is of blessed memory.
- He is also a nephew to legendary Nollywood actor, Jide Kosoko.
- He wrote his first song at the age of 15 and went on to join the junior choir of his church.
- He studied Arts and Design at the Lagos State Polytechnic while majoring in Graphics.
- Adekunle added Gold to his name after a session in church with the inspiration coming from an excerpt of the pastor’s preaching.
- In the early days of his career, Adekunle was a member of a boy band called The Bridge.
- The group dropped a couple of singles and featured acts like Skales and GT the guitarman before it was disbanded.
- Adekunle Gold is also a sculptor, painter and graphics designer.
- Before getting signed unto Olamide’s YBNL, Adekunle Gold had a working relationship with the label.
- He designed YBNL’s official logo.
- Before his entry into the mainstream music industry, Adekunle Gold went viral after photo-shopping himself into photos of popular celebs, which earned him the moniker, ‘King of Photoshop’.
- He was number 3 on the list of the most searched persons on Google in Nigeria in 2015.
- His debut single, ‘Sade’ is actually a cover of One Direction’s ‘Story of my Life’.
- The single won the Best alternative song award at the recently held 2015 Headies awards ceremony.
- Forget his announcement on ‘Sade’; Adekunle Gold is not up to 30 years. Yes, he lied!
- Adekunle Gold is in a relationship with Simi of X3M (Xtreme Music)
- His follow-up single, ‘Orente’ like his debut was inspired by a true-life experience.
- Adekunle Gold is reportedly in a relationship with ‘Jamb Question’ singer, Simi although both acts have kept mum about the relationship and are rarely seen together in ‘public’.
- Simi actually helped Adekunle Gold define his style and helped named his genre, ‘Urban Highlife’.
- Simi mixed and arranged Adekunle Gold’s three singles, ‘Sade’, ‘Orente’ and ‘Pick Up’.
- He won the award for ‘Revelation of the Year’ at the 2015 edition of AFRIMA.
- Adekunle Gold has made his movie debut on Kunle Afolayan’s upcoming thriller, ‘The CEO’.