Coming after Yobe State Governor Ibrahim Gaidem’s Press director released a statement claiming that some of the girls abducted from Dapchi have been found by the military, and a subsequent visit Yobe Governor paid the parents and members of the community in which he revealed that none of their daughters that went missing following Monday’s attack by Boko Haram members have been found, residents of the community who accused the government of deceiving them reportedly stoned Governor Gaidem’s convoy.
It was gathered that the Governor Gaidem was immediately whisked away from the community, after teargas was used to disperse the angry Dapchi residents. Vanguard reported that many officials in the convoy were seen with bloodstained clothes as they were injured in the attack.
One of the journalists in Governor Gaidem’s convoy, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a cameraman was also injured.
“We were in fear as the residents continued to throw stones to protest against government’s handling of the girls’ abduction.
“The angry residents ignored the tear gas as they vandalised seven vehicles in our convoy.
“From the little information that we got, they were angry that the Yobe State Government deceived Nigerians that the schoolgirls had been rescued when nobody was rescued.
“Some of them told the governor to present the girls that were rescued” he said.
This is coming after the Federal Government disclosed that the number of missing pupils has become a mystery due to the nature of the incident.
The Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who visited Dapchi, Yobe State, on Thursday, said this during an interview with one of our correspondents shortly after returning to Abuja.
“Since the incident happened, the army and other security agencies have swung into action and have been combing every nook and cranny. So far, we cannot say the number of people that are missing because people are still reporting or calling that they are safe.
“We will need a few more days so we can give an exact figure of those missing. I was at Dapchi and I held meetings with the Governor of Yobe, the Commander of Operation Lafia Dole and the General Officer Commanding of the army formation in Damaturu.
“They confirmed that Boko Haram members came to town and the principal asked the students to leave the school but when the roll- call was conducted later, quite a number of pupils could not be accounted for.
“The town crier and others went out and since then, the pupils have been trooping in. So, we cannot say the number of people missing. I am in touch with the security agencies; I will update you” Lai Mohammed said.