in , ,

Mayweather backs out of fight with 20-year-old kickboxer over backlash

American professional boxer, Floyd Mayweather backs out of fight with 20-year-old Japanese kickboxer,Tenshin Nasukawa which was initially billed to hold on New Year’s Eve in Japan.

The 41-year-old had earlier confirmed the bout for 31st of December 2018 during a press conference which took place on Sunday night in Tokyo.

Mayweather backs out of fight with 20-year-old kickboxer over backlash lailasnews 3
Mayweather backs out of fight with 20-year-old kickboxer over backlash


It was also understood that he revealed that he signed with Japanese mixed martial arts promotions company RIZIN Fighting Federation.

After the announcement, his enemies, 50 Cent, Conor McGregor and many others blasted him for agreeing to fight a younger kickboxer.

Taking to his Instagram account this night, Mayweather denied he agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa.

He wrote:

 Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced.

First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan.

Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the “Rizen Fighting Federation”.

What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of “One Entertainment” was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee.

This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide.

Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately.

I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval.

For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry.

I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.

64 Comments

  1. Mayweather one and only in boxing. That’s good bcos if you fight him and he loses his life in the ring people will say a lot of things about you. I love your decision.

  2. Smart move man, the guy is younger and a kickboxer, so just stay in your lane, though the press also played a role in misleading people, it was just supposed to be an entertainment show not a real one, the man has told us he is retired and makes money form showbiz now….

  3. That’s wisdom on Floyd’s part. The blend, 20 year, with how many years experience to face world champion boxer, that’s outrageous. Smart move to avoid stories that touches the heart.

  4. If it’s going to put money in my account, I’m going to fight no matter the age. It’s not even as if the boy will be forced to fight, it’s going to be a mutual understanding.

  5. Why were the haters too lashing out on me…is it not his chosen career, after all the the younger opponent wasnt forced into the fight…but I love the turn around in his decision.

  6. Good decision.. he decided to do what suits him…whats the big deal? Don’t live to please others .is better to be yourself.

  7. So if he wasn’t called out, he wouldn’t have canceled it?
    How will you sign and know know who you are boxing with

  8. It’s your choice to choose whether to fight him or not. You’ve taken the decision that suits your heart.

  9. “The Money” wasn’t given the right amount of money. Floyd Mayweather is a price fighter so make it big and he fights. Kick boxing is.not as flamboyant as boxing. home boy knows their is a trap to gauge him and then offer him a contract against a real champion. That was smart to reject the offer

  10. “The Money” wasn’t given the right amount of money. Floyd Mayweather is a price fighter so make it big and he fights. Kick boxing is.not as flamboyant as boxing. home boy knows their is a trap to gauge him and then offer him a contract against a real champion. gtt was smart to reject the offer .Get a better offer from Mr White in MMA

  11. Nice decision Mayweather, it shouldn’t always be about money and fame. A punch from you could send that guy to his early grave

  12. From your statement it was a kind miss informed by the organizer, for it was purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. So we understand you great guy.

  13. all these long epistle is not needed, the date was fixed and after all the backlash, the fight has been canceled cos the fight already was looking funny as the two people involved are no match for each other. lets all move on with our daily routines and let the celebrities settle their differences

  14. It’s good he backed out, omo this man’s experience and a young guy that has not even started hmmm.

Labour reacts as FG denies approving N30,000 minimum wage lailasnews

Labour reacts as FG denies approving N30,000 minimum wage

Dismissed banker raids ATM gallery, steals N14million lailasnews 2

Dismissed banker raids ATM gallery, steals N14million