The Nigerian Police has reacted to reports which claimed that embattled Senator Ovie Omo-Agege was arrested after allegedly leading thugs into the Senate chambers to snatch the mace.
According to the Nigerian Police, the lawmaker was merely escorted out of the National Assembly complex into a black Toyota Hilux pick-up, following the melee that ensued after the theft of the mace on Wednesday.
The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Sadiq Bello further disclosed that the embattled senator, later came back to attend the Senate plenary few minutes after he was escorted out of the NASS premises.
Punch reported that a senior police officer confirmed that Omo-Agege was not arrested, adding that he was simply taken away from the NASS premises for security reasons
“Was he (Omo-Agege) arrested? He was only taken out of the premises for security reasons, he wasn’t arrested or detained,” the senior officer stated.
When asked if the Police would investigate the lawmaker as directed by the Senate leadership, the source declined comment and referred all inquiries to the FCT Police spokesman, Anjuguri Manzah who did not respond to phone calls nor reply an SMS sent to him.
The Police Commissioner who was also asked if the Police Command would investigate the senator, for allegedly leading thugs to forcefully take the symbol of authority of the Senate, he replied by saying;
“I dont know anything; please ask the PPRO.”
Senator Omo-Agege on the other hand tweeted;
SENATOR OMO-AGEGE WENT TO WORK TODAY LIKE OTHER SENATORS; HE DID NOT REMOVE THE MACE OF THE SENATE. 1. On Thursday, April 12 2018, the Senate purportedly suspended Senator Ovie Omo-Agege. However, based on legal advice & understanding of the current position of the law, (cont)
2. Senator Omo-Agege today resumed work and sitting with his colleagues. A few champions of the unconstitutional, invalid and tyrannical suspension tried to stop him but those who opposed it welcomed and protected him throughout the sitting. We are grateful to the many… (cont)
3. Distinguished Senators who stood by Senator Omo-Agege. We are aware of several media reports suggesting that Senator Omo-Agege personally removed or encouraged anyone to remove the Mace of the Senate. This weighty allegation is not true at all…. (cont)
4. Following media reports on the Mace issue, the Police decided to hear from Senator Omo-Agege. He has told them his perspective to help them carry out a proper investigation. He has since left the Police. He trusts them to thoroughly investigate this very serious matter. (cont)
5. We are also aware of a statement allegedly issued by the Senate Spokesperson, Senator Abdullahi Sabi. Without any investigation, Senator Sabi willfully, deliberately and unfairly made very serious allegations against Senator Omo-Agege on the Mace incident. (Cont)
6. We are carefully studying Senator Sabi’s allegations to ascertain their full ramifications. Appropriate responses will follow, as may be necessary. SIGNED: Barr. Lucky Ajos For: The Office of Senator Ovie Omo-Agege
FOR THE RECORD; I was never arrested!!! I merely left with the Police who wanted to hear my perspective on the matter. Told them my perspective and left immediately after.