The Chairman of the Lagos Neighborhood Safety Agency DIG Israel Ajao has announced the suspension of 8 officers of the agency. Some of the suspended officers were reprimanded for punishing students of a secondary school in Lagos.
He disclosed that the agency would no longer tolerate any act of misconduct/indiscipline and overzealousness from Officers.
The Chairman disclosed that 8 Officers of the agency were being punished for various misconducts ranging from torture of Secondary School students at Surulere, fighting in the public/inflicting injuries on a commercial motorcyclist and disobedience to superior officer at Bariga post of LNSC. .
He confirmed that 8 officer that were involved in those acts including those who physically tortured students, have all been suspended indefinitely without salary, pending formal punishment in accordance with the extant law of the LNSA and other rules and regulations. .
Ajao dropped this hint while reading the “Riot Act” to all divisional Commanders and Corps Officers in 20 LGAs and 37 LCDAs of the State. The names of erring Officers are: .
1. DCS MOSES AKINWALERE 2. SCA. ADAMS KABIRU 3.CA111 CHRISTOPHER NJUMAGU 4. ACS1. MOHAMMED SALAMI 5. ACS1 KAZEEM SAHEED 6. ACS1 LADAPO OLAWALE 7. ACS1AJAYI OLAYINKA 8. CA111 OLATEJU YINUSA.
Information on the official website of the Lagos State Government describes in full the purpose of establishing the outfit
LAGOS STATE NEIGHBORHOOD SAFETY CORPS (LNSC)
The Lagos Neighborhood Safety Corps (LNSC) is a uniformed security agency established by a law of the Lagos State House of Assembly in 2016 to assist the Police and other security agencies to maintain law and order in the state. They operate in all the 57 LGA/LCDA in Lagos.
The Lagos Neighborhood Safety Corps (LNSC) officers are indigenous locals from the various LGA/LCDA where they operate, which is a deliberate policy in order to make use of their local knowledge to achieve maximum grass root intelligence gathering and community policing.
Functions of LNSC include:
• Gathering information about crimes, crime in progress, suspicious activities and crime suspects among other things.
• Making available such relevant information on rimes, crime in progress, suspicious activities and crime suspects to the police or other security agencies that require it.
• Putting structure in place to ensure that hoodlums and cult groups do not have the opportunity to operate.
• Undertaking routine motorized patrol day and night.
• Reducing the crime rate and ensuring that offenders are identified and made to account for their misdeeds.
• Following up on arrest of offenders to the court and ensuring justice.
• Timely reporting of suspicious activities and crimes in progress to the police or other security agencies and improving relationship between the police and the community as it concerns law enforcement.
• Contributing to maintaining community peace.