Local media gathered that a Moroccan man has told a court in Finland that he was “in war against women” when he went on a rampage in the Finnish city of Turku in 2017, stabbing two women to death and wounding eight more people.
The then 22-year-old asylum seeker, Abderrahman Bouanane, on Tuesday, spoke in district court where he is on trial on charges of murder and attempted murder “with terrorist intent.”
The young man told the court that before the attacks in August 2017, he had visited a mosque and recorded a video in which he talked about the U.S.-led air strikes in Syria and the fight for Islamic State.
He said that when he began the attacks on the market square, he couldn’t control himself. According to the newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat’s online edition, Bouanane said through an interpreter,
“I honestly felt like I was controlled remotely… The idea was to keep attacking as long as a head falls,”
It was gathered that two women were killed and six more women were injured in the attack. Two men were hurt when they tried to help the women. Police stopped the attacks by shooting Bouanane in the leg.
A psychiatric assessment concluded that Bouanane was criminally responsible for the attacks. Police said he was a “lone wolf” who saw himself as a soldier for Islamic State. The militant group did not take responsibility for the attack. According to Helsingin Sanomat, Bouanane said,
“My target was to hit women, not men … I was in war against women.”
The hearing was broken off on Tuesday when Bouanane suddenly declined to sit in his chair or stand, without giving a clear reason.
Police investigation showed that Bouanane had been radicalised shortly before the attack, and his application for asylum had just been rejected.
The case marks the first terror-related attack in Finland. The prosecutor is seeking a life sentence; In Finland, this means at least 12 years in prison.