Kechi Okwuchi, a Nigerian plane crash survivor has hit the beach alongside her friends shortly after competing in the 2017 America’s Got Talent show.
The plane crash survivor who noted that she feels less scar conscious than the last time she went to the beach, turned up at Daytona Beach in the US where she resides, and she’s really excited about the fun time.
“It’s been so long since I’ve been to the beach & I gotta say, I found myself feeling more body confident and less scar conscious than the last time I was at the beach, despite being bigger now than I was then, and the crazy thing is I thought I was totally fine then! Lol it’s weird, but good weird.”
Here are 10 things you should know about the inspiring Nigerian who survived the 2005 Sosoliso plane crash and has gone through over 100 surgeries.
1. Born on October 29, 1989, Okwuchi is the first born of a family of four; her father, mother and younger sister.
2. On December 10, 2005, she became one of the two survivors of the Sosoliso Airline Flight 1145 crash that took the lives of 107 passengers
3. The crash occurred 20 minutes to landing on her way back to Port Harcourt for a Christmas holiday alongside about 61 other students from her school, Loyola Jesuit College.
4. Following the crash, Okwuchi suffered third-degree burns over 65% of her body. She received her first major treatment at Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa.
5. Two years later, Okwuchi and her family moved to Houston to continue her medical treatment at Shriners Hospitals for Children in Galveston, Texas, United States.
6. The inspiring Okwuchi has gone through and survived over 100 surgeries since the crash.
7. While she was in coma, her mother sang her a popular Nigerian Christian hymn everyday. She could hear her in her subconscious, and when she woke up, she knew the song, the words, the tune and the melody.
8. In 2015, she graduated from the University of Saint Thomas, in Texas, USA, with a First Class Degree. She also got invited into six honour societies, including the International Economics Honour Society.
9. After graduation, she worked at a non-profit organization in Houston. She had no time for internships as she was always in and out of surgery.
10. On Tuesday, June 6, 2017, KechiOkwuchi received a “yes” from each of the four America’s Got Talentjudges with her performance of Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” during her audition.