Protesters held multiple demonstrations following the police shooting of an unarmed black man, with several clashes occurring, as buildings and cars were set alight in Wisconsin.
Jacob Blake, was shot seven times in the back by the police as his children watched in horror.
Blake is in stable condition in an intensive care unit, according to attorney Ben Crump, who represents the Blake family.
Graphic video of the shooting emerged on social media late Sunday, sparking angry protests that prompted the city to declare an emergency curfew.
The video shows 29-year-old Jacob Blake walking away from officers to a car when police shot him causing him to suffer serious injuries.
Kenosha Police said officers were in the area of 40th and 28th for a domestic incident when the shooting happened. They did not release further details.
Protesters claimed Blake was acting as a good samaritan before police shot him. They assure protests will not stop until the officer who shot Blake is arrested for attempted murder.
“We as in black people are tired of the police always attacking us. Why do you guys want to attack us? We have a life too and we would like to live our life. But we can’t even walk down the street at night without having to worry about the police messing with us,” said Quentin Bonpy, a demonstrator.
In a press release, Governor Evers said the “limited mobilisation” of the National Guard – made at the request of local officials – was to help law enforcement “protect critical infrastructure” and make sure people could demonstrate safely.
He said he was deploying 125 members of the National Guard on Monday night.
Earlier in the day some protesters tried to force their way into Kenosha’s public safety building, demanding that the officers involved in the shooting be arrested. A door was broken off its hinges before officers in riot gear used pepper spray to disperse the crowd.
Kenosha County is again declaring a state of emergency curfew east of Interstate 94 starting at 8 p.m. and lasting until 7 a.m.