A 72-year-old man, AbdulRasheed AbdulQuadri, was, on Friday, electrocuted on his way home from the Jumat service at the Central Mosque on Humani Street, Bajulaiye in Shomolu, Lagos.
Residents of the area revealed that AbdulQuadri was killed when he tried to cross the gutter in front of his house. He was said to have touched the iron bar of a mini-goal post (popularly known as monkey post) that was close to an electric pole. .
No one noticed that an electric cable previously disconnect by technicians of the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) was lying on the monkey post. As the septuagenarian touched the monkey post, he was electrocuted. .
One of the neighbours, who witnessed what happened, told Sunday Sun:
“When he fell we rushed to see what was wrong with him. That was when we noticed the electric cable coiled around the monkeypost. .
At that point we realized that Baba had been electrocuted. And it was dangerous for anyone to go and touch him.”
Residents disclosed that IKEDC had, on Monday, July 2, conducted mass disconnection exercise in the neighborhood. .
Many of them alleged that the technical staff of IKEDC, who carried out the exercise did not properly secure the wires after the disconnections.