Morgan Freeman is fighting back against allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior. In a 10-page letter from his
attorney, the 80-year-old actor has demanded an immediate retraction
and an apology from CNN following its report last week in which multiple women accused Freeman of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior.
The actor has denied ever sexually assaulting any woman. In a statement to ABC News last Friday, he said the report has “devastated” him and that “it is not right to equate horrific incidents of sexual assault with misplaced compliments or humor.” He also issued an apology to “anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected — that was never my intent.”
Freeman took a stronger tone today through his attorney Robert Schwartz, who said in the letter to CNN that its report was a “product of malicious intent, falsehoods, slight-of-hand, an absence of editorial control, and journalistic malpractice.”
A spokeswoman for CNN responded to ABC News with the following statement: “The unfounded accusations made by Mr. Freeman’s lawyer are disappointing and are difficult to reconcile with Mr. Freeman’s own public statements in the aftermath of the story.
CNN stands by its reporting and will respond forcefully to any attempt by Mr. Freeman or his representatives to intimidate us from covering this important public issue.”