A new report coming out has indicated that Nollywood producer Chris Ekejimbe died from malaria drug overdose, Vanguard reports.
Ekejimbe was rushed to LUTH on Tuesday, when his condition became critical after he was allegedly given an overdose of malaria drug at another hospital.
The drug was said to have damaged his red blood cell, causing the deceased to emaciate following which he patronized a pharmacist who Eyengho said was coming to his house to treat him.
Ekejimbe passed on at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital,LUTH. He was said to have battled acute malaria and typhoid fever for more than two months.
The founding president of the Association of Nollywood Core Producers, ANCOP,
Comrade Alex Eyengho said:
“Chris became ill, while he was on location shooting his soap opera. He went to a hospital and was diagnosed with acute malaria and typhoid fever. He went in and out of hospital, yet his condition did not improve.I was one of the few persons who saw him before he died. What he told me was that the doctor mistakenly gave him an overdose of malaria drug and the drug damaged his red blood cell. He started emaciating. After he did all kindS of tests, it was discovered that his red blood cell was at a zero level.“May be, because of the mistake of the doctor, he no longer had confidence in going to the hospital again. As a result, he was now receiving treatment at home. A pharmacist was coming to his house to treat him.This was going on for three to four weeks, until last Tuesday, when I visited him. I didn’t like his condition as I called his wife and manager, one Martins by the side and insisted that, he must be taken to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, for proper medication. I was able to convince Chris to go to the hospital again. But he didn’t, until last Tuesday.I guess by the time, he got to LUTH, it was probably late. And unfortunately, he gave up yesterday morning.”