Not every challenge that hits the internet is worth doing, and that is just the case of the ‘Hot Water Challenge’, as it has left a teen seriously injured.
The bizarre challenge called ‘Hot Water Challenge’ which involves drinking boiling water, or pouring it on a friend has left a 15-year-old boy in Indiana seriously burned.
Kyland Clark from Indianapolis said he was left with second-degree burns when a friend pulled a prank on him last week as part of the “Hot Water Challenge,” news station WXIN reported.
Kyland Clark, says he and his friends were watching YouTubevideos at one of their houses last week when they came across a trend: fellow teens scalding themselves with water.
When Kyland fell asleep, his friend, who has not been named, did it to Kyland – ‘as a joke’.
The prank left Kyland in excruciating pain with second-degree burns all over his body, that required a week of treatment in hospital.
Now Kyland and his distraught mother Andrea are sharing their story to urge others not to do the challenge.
He recalls waking up instantly and ripping off his shirt in panic, before running to the bathroom for cold water.
My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror and I had skin falling off here and, on my face,” Kyland told the news station.
The teen was rushed admitted to a local hospital, where he remained under treatment for a week, with doctors telling him that his skin will take several months to heal.
“To see my baby, all burned up like that, it was heartbreaking,” his mom Andrea Clark told WXIN.
Dr. Ed Bartkus of Indiana University Health also issued a fair warning that the challenge can cause permanent injuries or even death.
“If your friends are telling you to do this, they aren’t good friends,” he told Fox 59.