A gas explosion which occurred yesterday at Okwe community in Asaba, Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State, reportedly claimed the lives of a lady and four kids.
Two other kids that were in her store to buy some items were also consumed by the fire. The gas explosion which occurred at the popular Okwe Market, reportedly killed the victims on the spot and left many others injured with varied decrees of injuries. The deceased have been identified as a 4-month old baby, her 3-year old sister and their mother, as well as two teenagers.
According to Saturday Telegraph, a provision store owner, was cooking with a stove when fire gushed into the kiosk through a gas leakage at the nearby gas refilling store and consumed them.
An eyewitness said: “At 4pm on Thursday, we saw her cooking with stove at the front of her shop, within a twinkle of an eye, a gas cylinder exploded and threw itself to where the woman was cooking.
“The fire gutted the shop. When the woman realised that her two kids were inside the shop, she ran inside to rescue them but unfortunately the fire caught her inside with two other kids that came to buy items.” Before the arrival of men of the state’s fire service to put out the fire, the children were already dead.
Another source claimed that the woman whose identity could not be ascertained, was burnt while trying to rescue her two kids. They were said to have been burnt beyond recognition before men of the Delta State Fire Service arrived the scene.
“The two kids died on the spot but the mother and other two kids who came to buy goods at the provision shop were quickly rushed to Okwe General Hospital in a critical condition but were also confirmed dead on Friday”, the source added.
Their corpses were said to have been deposited at a morgue in the area.