If you are a fan of the popular series Game of Thrones, then you should get set for the prequel House of the Dragon, which was just approved by HBO.
According to reports, House of the Dragon will be set about 300 years before events in the original series, which ended its eight-season run earlier this year.
The announcement came hours after another planned prequel, due to star Naomi Watts, was reportedly cancelled.
Game of Thrones was HBO’s most popular series. It won multiple Emmy awards and drew tens of millions of viewers.
“It’s my pleasure to announce today that we are ordering House of the Dragon straight to series for HBO,” said Casey Bloys, president of HBO programming, at a launch event in Los Angeles for the HBO Max streaming platform.
He stated further
“It tells the story of House Targaryen and the early days of Westeros and we look forward to exploring the origins of House Targaryen and the earlier days of Westeros along with Miguel, Ryan and George.”
A pilot episode for an unnamed prequel starring Oscar nominee Naomi Watts was filmed over the summer.
Earlier on Tuesday, sources quoted by The Hollywood Reporter said executive producer Jane Goldman had emailed the cast telling them that HBO had cancelled the show, BBC reports.
The reasons behind the decision were not immediately clear and HBO did not comment.