Father and 11-year-old son die in camping accident in Australia

An 11-year-old boy and his father were found dead in a camping accident in Australia after an apparent gas leak.

Police received reports that a child on the beach area of Wedge Island was not breathing just before 11 a.m. on Monday, the Western Australia Police Force said in a statement, People reports.

Father and 11-year-old son die in camping accident in Australia

Upon arriving at the scene, authorities and emergency personnel found the child and an adult male dead, as well as a woman “in need of urgent medical assistance,” police said.

The family’s dog was also found dead, Australian outlet ABC reported.

Police said the woman was rushed by helicopter to a hospital in Perth about 100 miles away. She was later transferred to a different hospital, and is in serious but stable condition, according to ABC.

The deaths are not being treated as suspicious at this time, and an ongoing investigation indicated an equipment accident was to blame, police said.

“Initial investigation at the scene suggests there may have been a fault with an item of camping equipment located inside the tent the family were sleeping in,” they said.

Western Australia Police Minister Michelle Roberts said the deaths were likely the result of a possible gas leak from a fridge the family had been keeping in the tent with them.

“It is just very tragic,” she told ABC. “It is a long weekend, so many people would have had a similar experience of camping, be it at Wedge Island or somewhere else, and they would have used potentially similar equipment.”

Follow us on Facebook – @Lailasnews; Twitter – @LailaIjeoma for updates

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Wizkid would’ve won the Grammy if he was nominated – Nigerian man

Okada ban in Lagos: Task force begins illegal raids in unrestricted areas