The family of Kehinde Adeleke, who was allegedly killed by a bar owner inside the Trans Amusement Park, Agbowo, Ibadan, has written a petition against medical doctors at the University College Hospital, Ibadan, to the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Odude.
The family, in the petition, described as unacceptable the attitude of the doctor who conducted a post-mortem on the corpse at the hospital
Seyi Olusa (AKA Shadalusky) was alleged to have killed Kehinde with a rifle belonging to a soldier attached to the state joint security outfit, Operation Burst, after a disagreement.
The soldier, who is yet to be identified by the Army, was also indicted by the twin brother of the deceased, Taiwo, who reportedly witnessed the killing.
The three-page petition, titled: ‘The death of Kehinde Adeleke: Calling your attention to the doctor’s attitude to the post-mortem’, was signed by the deceased person’s father, Bolaji Adeleke, claimed that the doctor carried out the procedure in the absence of the family despite the agreement that it would be done in their presence.
The petition reads;
“After the doctor was called, we – the police and the family of the deceased – had an agreement to meet at the mortuary by 4pm on March 1, 2018 so as to carry out the post-mortem but to our greatest surprise, the doctor went on his own around 10am without calling any of the family members and the investigating police officer before proceeding with the procedure.
“We discovered when the corpse was brought that the neck had been opened and stitched. The doctor denied seeing any bullet in the neck and later called us to come and take the body to Yemetu Hospital for scanning to know if the bullet was inside one of the bones.
“Our point of petition is that the doctor had no right to demand for the body and he had no power whatsoever to carry out the post-mortem without the family being present.”
The family said that they doubted the authenticity of any report that the doctor could come up with because of ‘his shady act during the operation’.
“We want the medical association in charge of the conduct of the practices of medical doctors to query the action of this doctor. We also want the police to ensure that the doctor explains what led him to do a post-mortem on a body that was shot without his family being present at the scene of the procedure,” the statement added.
The father said that the family decided to monitor the case because there were signs that those involved in the killing of their son were making attempts to change the story.
“The doctor was dubious. We suspect that those who killed our son or had a hand in his death are trying to come up with lies. That is why we are not leaving any stone unturned,” he said.