A list compiled by parents of abducted Dapchi girls, confirmed that more than 105 girls were abducted by Boko Haram insurgents in an attack launched at Government Girls Secondary School in Dapchi, Bursari Local Government Area of Yobe State.
According to the parents of the abducted children who spoke with AFP, the first step they took was to compile a list of all the missing Dapchi girls.
“Our first step was to compile a comprehensive list of all the missing girls. So far, we have compiled the names of 105,” said Bashir Manzo, the chairman of the newly created support group after Monday’s raid, which has revived memories of the 2014 abduction of more than 200 girls in Chibok.
Credit: The Nation
The girls were said to have ran into the bush after the attack. But with many girls failing to return home, parents have expressed fears that the girls might have been kidnapped.
Manzo, whose 16-year-old daughter, Fatima, is among the missing, said the schoolgirls’ mothers and fathers would seek a meeting with the Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam.
“We believe he (Gaidam) was misinformed (about the rescue of 48 of the girls). The school authorities from the beginning denied and kept denying that our daughters were taken.
“We will see the governor and seek his help, as well as anyone who matters that can in one way or another assist in ensuring the freedom of our girls” he said.
Punch also reported that the Nigeria Police Force denied arresting any parent of the abducted Dapchi schoolgirls, for vandalising the convoy of the governor.
The Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Jimoh Moshood, said, “No, the police did not arrest anybody. It is not true. I have spoken with the Commissioner of Police and he confirmed nothing like that happened.”
Meanwhile, the Media Aide to the governor, Alhaji Abdullahi Bego, could not be reached on Friday for comment. A text message also sent to his line had yet to be replied to as of press time.