Coronavirus – Australia Prime Minister, Scott Morrison has announced that travelers who visited or transited through mainland China from Saturday will be banned from entering Australia for two weeks.
Following the number of confirmed coronavirus cases rising to nearly 12,000 globally, Australia has banned travelers from China from entering the country except for Australian citizens, permanent residents and members of their immediate families who will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days from their date of departure from China, Mr Morrison said on Saturday.
Australians who are currently in Wuhan and have asked to be evacuated by the Australian government have been told that a Qantas flight will leave the city on February 3, and that Australian permanent residents as well as citizens will be allowed to board.
However, anyone with a temperature of 37.3 degrees celsius or above will not be allowed onto the aircraft and will be asked to seek medical assistance within Wuhan, those shortlisted for the flight have been told by the Australian government in an email.
Mr Morrison said the decision to implement the travel ban was made “to substantially reduce the volume of travellers coming from mainland China” after a meeting of the Chief Medical Officers of all states and territories on Saturday.
Mr Morrison said the meeting noted the “increasing but still relatively small number of cases in provinces outside the Hubei province and the now resulting risk posed from travellers from all of mainland China”.
There have been 12 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia so far, including a fourth case in Victoria and two new cases in South Australia on Saturday.