Here is the full list of Nigeria’s Chief Of Army Staff (COAS) since 1999, as the West African country has seen 10 people occupy that office since 1999.
Yesterday, January 26, President Buhari reportedly sacked and retired his service chiefs and replaced them with new appointees.
The appointed newly appointed Service Chiefs include Major-General Leo Irabor, Chief of Defence Staff; Major-General I Attahiru, Chief of Army Staff; Rear Admiral AZ Gambo, Chief of Naval Staff; and Air-Vice Marshal IO Amao, Chief of Air Staff.
The new appointments have polarised Nigerians, with some claiming the President was bias to a particular region of the country.
Below is the full list of Nigeria’s Chief Of Army Staff (COAS) since 1999;
President Olusegun Obasanjo
- Lt. Gen. Victor Malu (Benue): May 1999 – April 2001
- Lt. Gen Alex Ogomudia (Delta): April 2001 – June 2003
- Lt Gen Martin Luther Agwai (Kaduna): June 2003 – June 2006
- Lt Gen Owoye Andrew Azazi (Bayesla): June 2006 to June 2007
President Umar Musa Yaradua
- Lt. Gen. Luka Yusuf (Kaduna): June 2007 to August 2008
- Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Danbazzau (Kano): August 2008 – September 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan
- Lt. Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika (Abia): Sept 2010 – Jan. 2014
- Lt. Gen. Kenneth Minimah (Rivers): Jan 2014 – July 2015
President Muhammad Buhari
- Lt. Gen Tukur Buratai (Borno): July 2015 – Jan 2021
- Lt Gen Attahiru Ibrahim (Kaduna): Jan 2021