The Nigerian Army has stated that soldiers at the Lekki Toll Gate were only ensuring compliance with a curfew put in place by Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, earlier that day.
On the 20th of October 2020, protesters and the world were left stunned as military men shot at unarmed Nigerians who had gathered at the Lekki Toll Plaza to demand an end to police brutality.
Tukur Buratai, a lt-gen and chief of army staff, said soldiers only tried to enforce compliance with the curfew imposed during the #EndSARS protests.
In a statement credited to the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Sagir Musa, said some people were trying to discredit the military and Nigerian Government.
Though Musa did not make direct reference to Tuesday killings at Lekki, he said, ”
Detractors both local and international have mischievously and deliberately misrepresented troops’ efforts to ensure compliance with the curfew imposed by legitimate civil authorities in Lagos and other states.
“These agitators are falsely accusing the NA of being responsible for the activities of the miscreants despite glaring evidence to the contrary.”
He also decried that the detractors are threatening to report the Nigerian Army to the International Criminal Court and also impose a visa ban on them from foreign countries.
“Criminal elements are threatening us with travel ban but we are not worried because we must remain in this country to make it better.
“The first time I travelled outside this country, I was already 50 years and a general, so I don’t mind if I live the rest of my life here,” Buratai said.