An airstrike in a migrant centre in Libya has reportedly killed atleast 40 people and injured 80 after it hit a migrant center east of the Libyan capital of Tripoli early Wednesday.
According to the Health Ministry’s emergency service Field Medicine and Support Center, at least 40 people have been killed and another 80 injured after an airstrike hit a migrant centre, Tajoura Detention Center, east of Tripoli in Libya on early July 3, 2019.
Emergency moved in to rescue both the wounded and the dead from the ground filled with piles of rubble left where the buildings had been.
The UN Refugee Agency stated that it was “extremely concerned” about the news of the airstrikes targeting the Tajoura detention center via its official Twitter page. In a statement, the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli condemned the “horrific crime,” blaming the leader of the opposition Libyan National Army (LNA) who are currently assaulting Tripoli.
No body has claimed responsibility for the attack as it is yet to be confirmed.
GNA in a statement about the attack said the airstrike on the center had been intentional and constituted a “war crime.”
“We ask the international community through the African Union, European Union and (other) organizations to take a firm and clear stance against these continued violations,” the statement said.