Nigerian and Arsenal FC player Alex Iwobi has denied issuing a threat to leave the club if they sign Wilfred Zaha from Crystal Palace.
In a post he updated on his social media page, the Bronze medalist at the just concluded Africa Cup of Nations, in Egypt, said it is fake news and he never mentioned anything like that.
Fake News & Click Bait! I Don’t know Why Some Newspapers Enjoy Twisting Words” he wrote
He the further stated that all he wants to see is the progress of the team as he hope the club signs world class players only
I Hope We Sign World Class Players @ArsenalAnd Progress As A Team🙏🏽. I’m Looking Forward To The New Season. Happy Sunday
Fake News & Click Bait! I Don’t know Why Some Newspapers Enjoy Twisting Words 🤷🏽♂️🙄. I Hope We Sign World Class Players @Arsenal And Progress As A Team 🙏🏽. I’m Looking Forward To The New Season. Happy Sunday 😊. pic.twitter.com/xcadu8t2kC
— Alexander Iwobi (@alexiwobi) July 21, 2019
Zaha is among Emery’s top attacking targets and Arsenal have had an opening offer of around £40million rejected for the 26-year-old Crystal Palace forward.
It’s understood Palace are holding out for a fee closer to their £80m valuation of Zaha, but the Gunners remain hopeful of landing the Ivory Coast international.
Zaha, a lifelong Arsenal fan, reportedly told Palace that he’s desperate to leave after returning from the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
Alex Iwobi had been allegedly quoted by The Sun saying:
“I am not one to chicken out. I have had it all over the years, being told I’m not good enough.
“So whenever the chance comes I always try and prove I should be starting. But it’s going to be difficult if Zaha comes. He will add more stress.
“Obviously my joy is to play football and not just sit out.
“If it comes to that I would have no choice but to leave. But I would always put up a fight to play – that is what I’ve done all my life.”