Among the Boko Haram terrorists who are currently undergoing interrogation and will be handed over to the appropriate authority on completion, is one Mallam Ibrahim Lawal who surrendered and also handed over one AK 47 rifle with two magazines containing 59 rounds of 7.62mm (special) ammunition.
An official statement on the official Facebook page of the Nigerian army reads;
TROOPS ENCOUNTER BOKO HARAM TERRORISTS
1.Troops of 242 Battalion deployed in operation LAFIA DOLE in conjunction with troops of operation LAST HOLD on 28 June 2018 while on raid patrol at Mallam Kafari, Goni, Alkari, Burburna , Kantanna villages in Monguno Local Government Area of Borno state encountered Boko Haram terrorists.
2. Three Boko Haram terrorists were neutralized during the encounter.
3. Items recovered include:
a. Two AK 47 rifles.
b. 51 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition.
c. Four Magazines.
d. One 36 Hand grenade
4. However, one soldier was wounded during the operation and is currently receiving medical attention.
5. The general public is hereby reminded once again to always report suspicious activities to the nearest military formation or any security agent for prompt action.
6. You are please requested to disseminate this information to the general public through your medium.
7. Thank you for your kind cooperation.
Director Army Public Relations
This is coming few weeks after Seventeen suspected Boko Haram members, surrendered to the Nigerian military following the federal government’s pledge to offer them amnesty. One of them, Ahmed Alhassan, disclosed this when Rogers Nicholas, a major-general, paraded the suspects at Theartre Commander of Operation Dole in Maiduguri.
He said they heard President Buhari’s appeal through the radio at their camp known as “Marcas of Nguma” at the shores of Lake Chad region. He commended the military for treating them with respect and dignity, urging other members to embrace the Federal Government’s peace avenue to surrender.