Three Nigerians identified as David Christopher, Greece Ben, and David (I), all in their 30s, were reportedly found dead in their rented accommodation in Uttam Nagar area of New Delhi, India on Friday.
The Hindu newspaper reported that the police recovered bottles of alcohol and soft drinks from the spot. Greece lived on the third floor of the rented accommodation, David used to reside on the second. David (I) had rented a house nearby but used to visit the two often. While two were in one room, the third body was found lying face down in the adjacent one. There were no external injury marks. All of them were frothing from the mouth, police said.
Investigations revealed that the trio had partied the night before, in which they consumed liquor and fell unconscious. Around 12.15pm, the apartment owner went to ask the men for rent. He knocked on the door for some time, but didn’t get a response. He then called others staying on the floors below. They tried calling the three men and upon failure to get a response informed the police.
“The whole building is inhabited by people from African countries. There is a common kitchen near floor three. A resident of the building passed by and knocked on the door because of the smell, but no one opened. He then called the landlord, who called the police,” the DCP said.
David’s body was partially decomposed. There were some black patches on the lower part of his body. The bodies were sent to a hospital for autopsy. Preliminary inquiry suggests that the men died due to some sort of poisoning. Police suspect that they had mixed their drinks that led to a chemical reaction which resulted in the Nigerians.
Locals said they had seen the men leave the building a few times on Thursday night to get liquor. Samples from the liquor bottles have been sent for forensic analysis. The Nigerian embassy has been informed about the incident so that the family members of the men could be contacted and the bodies handed over to them.